It’s your easy weekly ALDI meal plan for the week of 5/19/19: Pick up everything on the shopping list below, then start cooking on Sunday!
Is ALDI Cheaper than Walmart?
So here are some answers to a question on many people’s minds: Is ALDI cheaper than Walmart? Or, is ALDI still cheaper than Walmart after all their store remodels, expansions, and creeping price increases over the last couple of years. Here’s what I found last week. 🙂
And here’s a little roundup of some of my favorite ALDI finds of the week, from 6″ herb and veggie plants, to pineapple slicers, to grass fed ground beef.
But now, let’s get back to the ALDI menu plan you’ve all been waiting for…
ALDI meal planning week of 5/19/19 – 5/25/19
I’m assuming that you already have pantry basics like cooking oil, common condiments, and spices. *** Read through the recipes before you shop, to make sure you have the necessary pantry staples on hand for this week’s ALDI menu plan.
Six Easy Dinners from ALDI for $60.00
ALDI meal plan — Start cooking 5/19/19
- Sunday: Easy three ingredient slow cooker salsa chicken (use 2 lbs chicken and 16 oz of the salsa; throw in a little chopped chipotle pepper and/or adobo sauce as well, if you like). Serve on tortillas and top with shredded cheese, chopped green onion, cilantro, sour cream, avocado, and pico de gallo (use the snacking tomatoes; throw in a little garlic and also a splash of lime juice, if you have handy), along with quick seasoned black beans and sliced pineapple (check out the slicer in this week’s ad!). Cook up the rice tonight for tomorrow’s recipe to save time then, too, if you like.
- Monday: Simple chicken kale mushroom stir fry (use 1 lb chicken) and garlic broccoli stir fry, served with cooked rice.
- Tuesday: Zucchini Spanish rice burrito bowls topped with a little chopped green onion, cilantro, & sour cream, plus oranges.
- Wednesday: Summer squash + tomato frittata (cut down to only 8 eggs, and use two small or one larger zucchini instead of a zucchini + a squash), along with sliced mangoes and toasted English muffins.
- Thursday: Instant pot kale sausage soup (use stove top directions in post if you lack a pressure cooker), along with a side salad topped with chopped cucumber, Roma tomatoes, & green onion.
- Friday: Korean style ground beef & spinach rice bowls, oranges, and carrot mash (just use the “step one” carrot mash part of the dinner recipe here).
- Saturday: Leftovers, family pizza night (ALDI sells a nice big take-and-bake pizza), eat out, or date night.
ALDI shopping list — Shop through 5/18/19
Dairy & refrigerated
Dozen Goldhen eggs, $.79
Friendly Farms sour cream, $1.29
12 oz Happy Farms shredded cheddar, $2.79
L’Oven Fresh English muffins, $.99
3 lbs Earthly Grains long grain white rice, $1.99
Can Chef’s Cupboard chicken broth, $.49
Box Chef’s Cupboard chicken broth, $1.39
24 oz Casa Mamita salsa, $1.79
El Milagro flour tortillas, $.95
Can Happy Harvest fire roasted diced tomatoes, $.89
Can Dakota’s Pride Great northern beans, $.69
2 cans Dakota’s Pride black beans, $1.38
Casa Mamita taco seasoning, $.29
Pueblo Lindo chipotles in adobo, $.99
14 oz Polska kielbasa, $2.29
5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, $8.45
1 lb 80/20 ground beef, $2.89
4 lb navel oranges, $2.29
2 mangoes, $.98
30 oz zucchini, $1.48
12 oz SimplyNature organic chopped kale, $3.19
5 oz SimplyNature organic baby spinach, $2.49
Bag Italian salad, $1.99
2 lbs carrots, $1.09
16 oz broccoli crowns, $1.29
Bunch green onions, $.79
Bunch cilantro, $.79
Two 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, $1.98
3 lbs yellow onions, $1.69
3 heads garlic, $.99
8 oz jalapeños, $.69
12 oz snacking tomatoes on the vine, $2.49
4 Roma tomatoes, $.80
2 avocados, $2.18
That comes to $59.42.
Or, maybe less…! These meals will likely run you even less if you supplement this week’s ALDI purchases with clearance meat you already have in your freezer, pantry staples you picked up on sale, produce you already have on hand, and/or sale produce from your local produce market. Let me know if you give it a try!
Printable ALDI meal plan and grocery list
*** Download this week’s printable ALDI shopping list and meal plan in Word format so that you can edit and add in your own meal ideas, remove items you already have on hand, change regional pricing to match your own store, etc. *** The day(s) next to each item show which meals use each ingredient, so that you can easily see what to delete from the shopping list if you’re skipping a night.
Things to know about the ALDI meal plans
A couple of notes
- I try not to repeat main dish recipes more often than once a month, but you will see favorite easy recipes come up again in these weekly ALDI meal plans as the same meats and produce items come up again on sale. Part of the fun of meal planning lies in mixing old stand-bys with something new each week.
- If one or more of these recipes isn’t to your taste, or if you have other ingredients to use, you can adapt the recipes in this ALDI meal plan to your family’s preferences — or just use the ideas here to supplement your own meal planning. See: Pantry staples to stock up on and how to modify a meal plan for your family.
** Ad markets and dates
This week’s ALDI meal plan reflects prices from the current week’s ad (running 5/12-5/18 in Sunday ad markets, and 5/15-5/21 in Wednesday ad markets). Non-advertised prices were collected on 5/15/19 at my local store in the Chicago suburbs, but non-advertised prices and produce deals *may vary* by location & region. In either ad market, shop any time through Saturday and start cooking on Sunday 5/19/19.
Stay in the ALDI meal planning loop
Subscribe here to receive weekly email messages about new ALDI meal plans — no spam, just get email notifications about new plans!
- Browse all of the weekly ALDI meal plans here *** note: prices may have changed since originally posted.
- If you find this meal plan useful, why not share it with your friends on Facebook so they can save money with ALDI meal planning as well?
- While you’re over on Facebook (if you enjoy deals in general) please come join us in the Hot Deals Facebook group! 🙂
Happy ALDI shopping and cooking this week, everyone!
Useful resources for meal planning + ALDI shopping
Let’s close things out today with just a few resources to help you out with your meal planning and ALDI shopping:
- Almost All ALDI — for more ALDI goodness, ALDI finds, reviews, and more.
- Master list of meal planning resources
- Come join us in the Almost All ALDI Facebook group for recipes, meal planning ideas, ALDI food finds, and more.
- ALDI is now a participating store for cash back offers on the Ibotta app! (Search “ALDI” at the top of the app, if you can’t find it in the store list.)
- Pick up a pack of meal prep containers & pack up any dinner leftovers for easy weekday lunches!
- Cute & handy ALDI quarter keepers.
- Check out my Amazon shop for some of my favorite useful items for your own meal planning. Also useful: Two pack insulated grab bag totes, or two pack clip to cart bags.
- Almost All ALDI, the eBook.
How fun are these ALDI themed t-shirts I have for you guys?!
Lastly: You can always access your current regional ALDI ad here.