New 3/29/20 — I broke this up into separate posts for easier browsing of these lengthy lists of resources.
- FOOD-RELATED resources for turbulent times, here
- Includes grocery delivery, restaurants, special grocery store hours for seniors, meal delivery kits, more
Resources for turbulent times, part 2
So this is somewhat of a departure from the normal recipe + ALDI meal planning content. But, let me hearken back to my librarian roots for a moment here. I’ve been sharing lots of resources and links on Facebook lately, and thought it might be useful to organize and pull them all together in one place.
- If you think you’re showing symptoms, try this online self-screening tool from Apple (in partnership with the CDC).
Have any pertinent resources or links to add? Please comment on this post. This is not a comprehensive list by any means, but I hope that you’ll find these resources useful! I’ll continue adding new links as time permits.
Note: These may change at any time; make sure an offer is still valid before using. Please do not post political arguments in comments; these will be deleted.
Here are some educational resources and freebies to help keep your kids’ minds active at home, or to supplement what your school has been sending. See also this list of educational resources from ABC7.
- Six free Dr. Panda apps (this is the Amazon link, also check the app store for iOS)
- Season one of Learn Along with Sesame, free
- Free Teach your monster to read app
K – early grade school
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems
- Complete Schoolhouse Rock series on YouTube
- PBS Kids daily newsletter, plus apps
General, or Pre-K and up
- Bluprint is offering free unlimited classes, projects, and more til 4/9 — Over 1300 creative education classes including sewing, cooking, family crafts, more.
- Time for Kids digital library free for the rest of the school year
- Three free months of Rosetta Stone (language learning) for students
- Scholastic Learn at Home
- Khan Academy
- Free stories from Audible
- BrainPOP is currently free to schools and families impacted by school closures
- Remote Math Lessons (middle school)
- Great Schools printable worksheets
- Super cheap 3 month family plan of FreeTime Unlimited
- 450 Ivy League courses you can take online right now for free
- Virtually tour 1200+ of the world’s most famous museums from home
- Yale University — the science of well-being is online for free
Internet & mobile access
- AT&T is waiving data overage fees for home Internet subscribers
- Charter — free access to Spectrum broadband & wi-fi for 60 days for new K-12 and college student households
- Comcast is offering various things, including — New low income Internet Essentials customers get two months free Internet, Xfinity wi-fi hotspots free to anyone, data plans on 60 day pause, no disconnects or late fees if you contact them
- T-Mobile is offering all current customers unlimited smartphone data for 60 days from 3-13 onward, and more
- T-Mobile launched new plans, as low as $15 a month
- Verizon is offering an extra 15GB data for wireless consumer and small business customers, automatically, plus two month waived Internet and voice service charges for Lifeline customers, a new affordable Internet option for low income households, and more
Relief & assistance
- Calculate how much you’ll get from the relief bill checks
- What to do if you lose your job
- Federal student loan payment suspension, plus 60 day 0% interest
- Disaster loan assistance from the U.S. SBA
- U.S. tax filing day moved to July 15 (federal only)
- Up to a yearlong break on mortgage payments
- Automakers to allow car owners to delay payments
- American Express financial hardship
- Nicor Gas energy assistance (check with your own local energy company, too)
- U-Haul offering free 30 day storage to displaced students
- United Way: DIAL 211 in 24 states. “NOTE: You can dial 211 to speak to someone about local assistance at any time. The 1 – 866 – 211 – 9966 number you may have seen on social media is only available for residents of Indianapolis. Please be aware that financial assistance related to COVID-19 is not available for individuals everywhere.“
Books & magazines
- Two free months of Kindle Unlimited (Note: You can cancel before the two months are up, and still retain access til the end of that time period)
- Check your local library for eBooks and other resources — and, good news! Macmillan ended their library eBook embargo for now…
- 13 free comics from ComiXology
- 60 day free trial of ComiXology Unlimited
- Ranger Rick is offering the current digital issues of their magazines and their website for free til end June
- Authors Give Back sale on Smashwords
- Anderson’s is offering $.99 shipping on all online book orders right now
- Target has buy two, get one free on select children’s books
- Amazon also now has buy two, get one free on select children’s books
- The Metropolitan Opera is offering nightly free opera streams through 3/29
- 90 free days of Amazon Music HD (new subscribers only, offer through 3/25)
- Pandora streaming plans are on sale for Sam’s Club members: Plus, $4.49 a month, Premium, $8.99 a month
- Free local bands live streaming 7:30-9PM every night from Arcada Theatre
- A list of live virtual concerts to watch
Movies & video streaming
- Free month of CBS All Access with code ALL — then after you complete signup, try adding code CATCHUP for a second free month
- One month of Disney+ free after cash back for NEW TopCashBack customers only. (Create your account with an email and password, then click on the “Get Offer” button and it’ll take you to Disney+. Add the “Disney+ Subscription” to your cart and shop as you would normally, then checkout. This is a Free Digital Confirmation offer, so pnce you checkout, in about 14 days, $6.99 will post into your new TopCashback account.)
- Roku is offering 30 day free trials of various premium services
- Sling TV is offering a number of free shows and movies on Sling TV Free right now
- Prime Video Cinema — select in-theater movies at home for $19.99 (scroll down the page a bit for selection)
- Amazon just made a bunch of kid and family streaming video free for all (no Prime needed!)
- Best Buy, buy a $100 Hulu gift card, get a free $15 Best Buy eGift card
Who’s hiring right now? Grocery stores, and delivery services.
- Free GOLD’S AMP access through May 31 (code FIT60, if it asks). Create an account, then download the GOLD’S AMP app to access audio & video coaching + DJ mixes.
- Free 90 day trial to the Peloton app
- Yoga with Adriene on YouTube for home practice.
- My own yoga studio has been doing Facebook Live video classes every day at noon
- The Down Dog app is free until April 1.
What can you do to help?
Social isolation contributes to feelings of helplessness, so here are some things we can do right now.
Whether you’re donating monetarily or donating your time and efforts, every little bit helps.
- You can donate your Airbnb space to help house responders
- Use your Kellogg’s Family Rewards points to donate to Feeding America
- How you can help
- It’s safe to donate blood, hospitals wish you would
Random articles I found useful
Managing anxiety and expectations
Just a few links to articles I’ve found useful in managing anxiety and expectations.
- Mental health tips
- I refuse to run a home school
- You are not your child’s teacher
- Please don’t be guilted into being more productive
Understanding the epidemic
Resources for first responders
- Starbucks is offering free tall brewed coffee to front line responders through May 3
- Free Furbo dog camera for health care workers
- Free pair of Crocs for health care workers, open for new requests every day at 11AM Central
- Krispy Kreme: “To share joy among the millions in the medical community, and to show our gratitude for all they are doing, beginning Monday, March 30 – National Doctors’ Day – and on every subsequent Monday through National Nurses Week (May 6-12), Krispy Kreme will provide all healthcare workers free dozens of our iconic Original Glazed® Doughnuts. Just go to a Krispy Kreme drive-thru, tell us what you need and show us your employer badge. That’s it. Pick up some free dozens on the way to work for you and your colleagues, or maybe a free dozen on your way home to family after a long shift.”
- CD One Price Cleaners is offering 20 lbs of wash & fold laundry cleaned free every week through end-April for healthcare workers, police, fire fighters, and EMTs.
- Some YMCAs are offering child care for health care workers and first responders, while some have closed. Check your local Y.
More from Mashup Mom
What else have I posted lately that might be useful?
- Just for fun — Caturday, the Coworker edition
- So, how YOU doin’?
- Stocking up with subscribe & save (when you can’t get to the store)