Welcome back to Sunday Scratchups, your weekly recipe from scratch around grocery sales and/or affordable ingredients.
Note: Giveaway and coupon are long over, but read on for the yummy recipe!
This week’s recipe is sponsored by Litehouse Foods — and be sure to read on to the end to find how you also can enter for your chance to win some yummy Litehouse products like the ones I used here! Can’t wait? Head over and print a handy coupon for $1.00/1 any Lighthouse product.
I received Litehouse red wine & olive oil vinaigrette, Litehouse Instantly Fresh freeze dried oregano, and Simply Artisan Reserve feta crumbles to create a holiday recipe — so decided to scratch up an easy, light, yet festive salad to help balance out all the heavy meals and desserts we tend to indulge in during this time of year.
I was especially intrigued by the Instantly Fresh oregano, which you use one-to-one like fresh and which reconstitutes in liquid. So, I also wanted to go with a recipe where that oregano flavor could really stand out. This leads us to Festive Greek Chicken Salad, which is both gluten free and low carb.
Festive Greek Chicken Salad
1/2 cup Litehouse red wine & olive oil vinaigrette
Juice of one small lemon
2 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp Litehouse Instantly Fresh oregano
1.5-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
8 oz bag fresh spinach
Simply Artisan Reserve feta crumbles
Olives (I used a jar of Mediterranean blend)
Additional oregano, for garnish
Additional dressing, on the side
Trim chicken and season on both sides with salt and pepper, then place in small nonreactive baking dish. Combine vinaigrette, lemon juice, garlic, and oregano. Pour over chicken, then marinate in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
Using enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a large pan, heat 2-3 minutes over medium heat before adding chicken. Cook chicken over medium heat 8-12 minutes a side, depending on thickness, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Let cool, then slice into strips.
Arrange 4 oz spinach on a platter, then decorate your leafy “tree” with chicken strips, feta crumbles, dried cranberries, olives, and onion. Garnish with oregano, and serve with additional dressing to taste.
* Note: The ingredients listed make enough for two festive “trees” as shown here, or just create one finished salad for inspiration and lay out the rest of the ingredients so that everyone can assemble their own to taste. I also added a little “star” to the top of mine that I cut out of Monterey Jack cheese (optional).
The chicken here came out super moist and flavorful and paired quite nicely with the feta, cranberries, and spinach in a lighter — yet filling — meal. Festive Greek Chicken Salad received thumbs up from everyone here, although the kids chose to pick out out the onions and go heavier on the chicken.
Festive Greek Chicken Salad, printable recipe
Festive Greek Chicken Salad + Litehouse giveaway!
- 1/2 cup Litehouse red wine & olive oil vinaigrette
- Juice of one small lemon
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Litehouse Instantly Fresh oregano
- 1.5-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- 8 oz bag fresh spinach
- Simply Artisan Reserve feta crumbles
- Dried cranberries
- Olives (I used a jar of Mediterranean blend)
- Sliced onion
- Additional oregano, for garnish
- Additional dressing, on the side
- Trim chicken and season on both sides with salt and pepper, then place in small nonreactive baking dish.
- Combine vinaigrette, lemon juice, garlic, and oregano.
- Pour over chicken, then marinate in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Using enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a large pan, heat 2-3 minutes over medium heat before adding chicken.
- Cook chicken over medium heat 8-12 minutes a side, depending on thickness, until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Let cool, then slice into strips.
- Arrange 4 oz spinach on a platter, then decorate your leafy "tree" with chicken strips, feta crumbles, dried cranberries, olives, and onion.
- Garnish with oregano, and serve with additional dressing to taste.
On to the giveaway ** OVER **
What can you win?
- One lucky Mashup Mom reader will win Litehouse products to create their own recipe: One Litehouse Foods cheese, one Litehouse Foods Dressing, and one Litehouse Foods dried herbs.
How do you enter?
- Just comment here and let me know what you think of this recipe — or what you might make with similar ingredients!
One entry per comment; each comment is an entry; a maximum of one entry per household; duplicate entries will be deleted. Only comment once on this post; your comment enters you in the giveaway. Enter through 11:59 PM Central on 11/29/15. U.S. residents only, please. If you are reading this through email or Facebook, please click on the title of this post (up at the top where it says “Festive Greek Chicken Salad”) to go back to the blog. Scroll down to the bottom of the post and you will see a box to enter your comment; just comment there to enter. Email and Facebook entries will not be counted. If you are reading the Mashup Mom homepage on the web, look at the bottom of this post where it says “___ comments.” Click on that to get the box to enter your own comment.
Also be sure to enter the separate Litehouse Holidazzle photo contest! ** OVER **
Be sure to enter the Litehouse Foods Holidazzle photo contest, too! Share a photo of your own dazzling holiday dish using Lighthouse or Simply Artisan Reserve products on their Facebook, twitter, or Instagram with hashtag #LighthouseHolidazzle for your chance to wine $1,000 for groceries + a year’s supply of Litehouse dressing.
Giveaway fine print
Prizing and information for this giveaway has been provided by Litehouse Foods. The winner will be randomly selected from all comments received on or around 11/30/15. Winner will have 48 hours to reply to email notification; if no reply is received, a runner up will be selected. Mashup Mom is not responsible for lost or misdirected emails.
No purchase necessary. The number of eligible entries receives determines the odds of winning. Duplicate entries will be deleted. Void where prohibited. Please allow 8 weeks for delivery of your prize. We reserve the right to cancel this promotion at any time or to substitute a prize of equal value.