If your kid is at the junior high or high school age where they need the bigger (and pricier!) 2″ binders, you can pick up the Avery durable viewbinder for $4.65 on Amazon (in white) or for $4.99 (switch to black). The white binder ships free with Prime or at $35, while black is an add-on item.
This week’s Frugal Homemade feature is a DIY Dry Erase Calendar. I’ve seen variations on these on Pinterest over the years and thought it was finally time to give it a try!
You will need:
- A sheet of Lexan — I used an 18″x24″ sheet from Home Depot, about $22.00. (Lexan is also called polycarbonate and is very similar to acrylic. Ask a sales associate where the acrylic sheets are, and you should find the Lexan in the same area. Acrylic is less expensive, but from my research Lexan is the best choice to avoid scratches for long term use.)
- 4 heavy duty 1″ magnets — also found at Home Depot, $1.68/2pk
- Paint chip samples in desired colors — free
- Poster board
- Glue — both school glue and hot glue (or something like Gorilla Glue to attach the magnets)
- Dry erase pen
Let’s get started!
- Determine how big your squares need to be in order to fit calendar-style in your Lexan sheet. (I used thirty-five 3″ squares.)
- Cut them to size out of your paint chips.
- Draw a 5×7 grid on the poster board to match the size of your squares. (You can use the Lexan sheet as a straight edge.)
- The spaces between my squares for an 18″x24″ sheet of Lexan (using 3″ squares) are 3/8″ horizontal and 1/2″ vertical.
- Place a paint chip square in each square of your grid and secure temporarily with Scotch tape.
- Place a dot of school glue on each square.
- Carefully place the Lexan sheet over your squares, lining up the edges of the grid with the edges of your Lexan sheet.
- Once the glue is dry, carefully remove the poster board from the back.
- (Your finished calendar will be the sheet of Lexan with its attached paint sample squares!)
- Use hot glue or Gorilla glue to attach a magnet to each corner of the back of your Lexan sheet.
- Attach your finished Dry Erase calendar to your fridge with the magnets.
- Use your dry erase marker to fill in your plans for the month!
I think my refrigerator organization station is now complete!
Zaycon has announced upcoming chicken and bacon sales! Events coming up in October and November. (Ground beef and some other ones are already sold out, but check out these newer events while still available — and sockeye salmon is still up, too.)
*** And now through August 3, save another 10% off your order of $125+ with code SUMMER15 at checkout!
What’s a Zaycon?
If you’re not familiar with Zaycon Fresh,
- They sell fresh meat products by the case.
- Head to local pickup locations at a specified date and time to pick up your order.
- They schedule events across the country.
How much meat was that, again?
Choose from open events, including:
- You get 25 lbs of frozen wild sockeye salmon fillets at $6.99/lb = $174.75 + low food tax (October event).
- You get 36 lbs of hickory smoked bacon at $3.79/lb = $136.44 a case + low food tax (October event).
- You get 40 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast at $1.89/lb = $75.60 a case + low food tax (November event).
Pickup locations and getting together to split this stuff
Pickup locations for Zaycon events in the Chicagoland area include: Oak Brook, Wheaton, Elk Grove, Bolingbrook, Naperville, Aurora, Glenview, Orland Park, Tinley Park, Joliet, Gurnee, Lindenhurst, DeKalb, Kankakee, Rochelle, Rockford, Franklin WI, Milwaukee WI.
Hopefully there is a date and time that will work for you. Head over to Zaycon to place your order now.
- Please feel free to chat and get together in comments about splitting orders, if these events are too large for your family.
- You can also talk about splitting orders over in the Mashup Mom Coupon Trading Facebook group.
Use code MASHUPMOM today to get a year’s subscription to Atlantic magazine for only $4.99!
Gearsx has a cleaning shoe brush for $14.99 today. Shipping is free. This shoe brush can be mounted to the ground and can clean your shoes/boots without having to take them off. Great to put right outside a back door or in a garage. The regular price is $44.99.
The week of 8/2/15 we’re expecting three inserts: Two Red Plum and a SmartSource. See the full list at Coupon Previews.
- Use this as a general guide, because coupons and values vary regionally. Sometimes our papers will not include one or more of the coupons listed, or when one area will get one $ amount on their coupons, we will get another.
- In Chicagoland, the Chicago Tribune has the most coupons in it — even if the Sun-Times, or the DuPage Daily Herald, or the other smaller papers have the same inserts, they’re thinner. (Occasionally, the Sun-Times will contain a coupon not found in the Trib, but overall you’ll find many more in the Trib.) If you are outside Chicagoland, you will want to buy the largest-circulation paper in your area.
- In IL-Chicagoland, you can pick up the early edition of the Sunday Chicago Tribune on Saturday morning for $1.00 at Menards or Dollar Tree.
- Be sure to check to make sure that the inserts are in there before purchasing — since they are no longer in plastic bags, they’re falling out, not making it in, or getting swiped.
- Check out the Mashup Mom Coupon Trading Group on Facebook if you’re looking for different coupons or have some you want to trade.
So what looks good to me?
- Dial/Tone $2/2 dial, dial for men, dial kids or dial baby body wash, dial, dial for men or tone bar soap 6pk+ or dial lotion ets (8/22)
- got2b $2/1 styling item (8/29)
- Purex $3/2 crystals fragrance boosters (8/16)
- Right Guard $2/2 anti deo products excludes sport (9/2)
- Soft Scrub $1/1 product 20oz+ (8/23)
- all/Snuggle $2/2 product ets (9/13)
- Balance Bar $1/2 singles (11/2)
- Ball Park $.55/1 hot dog product dnd (9/13) AND Ball Park $.75/1 park’s finest dnd (9/13)
- Fiora $.55/1 12 roll+ bath tissue or 6 roll+ paper towels (9/30)
- L’Oreal $2/1 advanced hairstyle product excludes 1.7oz trial (8/29) AND L’Oreal $2/1 everstrong, oleotherapy, everpure, evercurl, eversleek or evercreme shampoo, conditioner or treatment product (8/29)
- Purina Beneful B1G1 free 3.5lb or smaller dog food up to $6.55 (8/31)
- Rolaids B1G1 free tablet bottle 60ct+ up to $5.50 (8/31)
- Aussie $3/3 shampoo, conditioner or styling products ets (8/29)
- BIC $1/2 stationery products (9/15)
- BIC $3/1 disposable razor ets (8/29)
- Blue Bunny $.75/1 premium ice cream or novelty excluding personals and pints (9/30). Should be $1.00 here, hopefully!
- Daisy $.50/1 cottage cheese (11/30)
- Five Star $1/2 products (9/30)
- General Mills $.50/1 3.7oz+ chex mix, check mix buddies, check mix popped, chex mix xtreme, chex chips, bugles corn snacks or gardetto’s snack mix (9/26)
- GoGo SqueeZ $1/2 4pk+ (9/30)
- Herbal Essences $3/3 shampoo, conditioner or styling products excludes color, body wash and trial (8/29)
- Honey Maid $1/2 grahams 14oz+ (9/12)
- Kraft $.75/2 15.8-16oz salad dressings (9/27)
- Old El Paso $1/3 products excludes refrigerated, frozen and soup products (9/26)
- Pantene $2/1 styler or treatment product ets (8/29) AND Pantene $4/2 products ets (8/16)
- Pillsbury $.50/1 toaster strudel, toaster scrambles pastries or pancakes excludes heat-n-go mini pancakes (10/24)
- Yoplait $1/10 yogurt cups (9/26)
- Ziploc $1/2 bags (9/26)
So, how many?
What are you thinking? I am thinking maybe four.
Vera Bradley, through eBay, is offering up BOGO 50% off on totes, handbags and more. You will also get free shipping on all items on the deal page as well!
Choose from 214 items in this sale!
This morning on eBay deals you can pick up a $100 eBay gift card for only $95 — email delivery! I know it’s not a huge discount, but every little bit, right? And if you’re an eBay shopper anyway, you might as well grab the extra 5% off the top with this deal.
Groupon Beauty Week continues with $10 Deal Day today 7/31 only: Every deal on this page is $10.00 or less. (Select areas only; Chicagoland is included!)
- $4 eyebrow threading
- $9.99 for an 8 pack of replacement brush heads
- $10 men’s haircut + shave
- $5 henna tattoos
… and much more! Check out the $10 and under Beauty Week deals in your area.