I wrote this review while participating in a campaign for Mom Central Consulting on behalf of the National Restaurant Association. I attended a live event and received a gift bag and promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.
With celebrity chef Marc Murphy!
I recently had the opportunity to attend a Kids LiveWell event at the National Restaurant Show in Chicago. This is a very cool program that focuses on offering more healthy options in restaurant meals for kids. You know how you go to a restaurant and tend to always see the standard choices on the kid’s menu: Pizza, fries, chicken fingers, hot dogs, and more fries. Well, why not offer a larger variety of options — that kids will actually eat?
Enter Kids LiveWell
The National Restaurant Association launched the award-winning Kids LiveWell program to help families make healthy choices while eating out. Check out all the Kids LiveWell participating restaurants here, and click on any to see their Kids LiveWell menu choices and nutrition information. These options emphasize lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy, and must meet certain nutrition criteria, such as:
- 600 calories or less
- Two sources of either fruit, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, or low-fat dairy
- Less than .5 grams of artificial trans fat.
- … and more
You can see all of the nutrition criteria here. We got to try a few of the items at the Kids LiveWell event, and they were quite tasty, too!
Here, for instance, I clicked on Outback Steakhouse, because it’s one place we occasionally visit (separate gluten free menu, accommodating of allergies). They gave me a list of children’s meals to choose from, and when I clicked “dig in for nutrition info” on one, it popped up the whole list. So, when considering where to eat out and what your kids will choose, you can investigate at home before picking a restaurant. I like seeing more variety on kid’s menus for a number of reasons — and the move away from fried foods here could also be useful in another way for eating around allergies, don’t you think?
Some of the kid’s menus at participating locations now also include calorie info right on the menu. This is a snippet of Corner Bakery’s — wow, did you you have any idea how many calories could pack into a PB&J? Although you have to look deeper for the full nutrition info, this can help you see calorie counts at a glance for a quick guide.
When dining out, you can also easily scan for qualifying Kids LiveWell menu items at participating restaurants: Just look for their logo or for the above apple icon next to qualifying options.
My gift bag included a child-sized Kids LiveWell apron — do you see celebrity chef in his future?! I’m thinking maybe yes.
The Kids LiveWell app
You can also download a free Kids LiveWell app — just search Kids LiveWell in your app store or marketplace. While this is a fantastic idea, it needs some work. You have to, for instance, scroll through the entire list of ZIP codes as shown above rather than just entering a ZIP. And, although it lets you scroll through a list of available meal options for each participating restaurant, these are cut off in that view so you have to click on each to see what is actually included, which can be time consuming.
However, it’s nice in that it shows the complete nutrition information for each meal, side, and drink combination, so that you can see exactly what your kids will be consuming.
Kids LiveWell now partners with over 120 brands and options are available in over 33,000 locations across the US, and continues to expand. Read more about the program and participating restaurants here. You can also check them out on both Facebook and twitter.
Here is a list of some Mother’s Day restaurant deals for 2013, courtesy of Ann’s Entitled Life. If you know of any others, please comment here!
• Bonefish Grill
• For each $50 purchased receive a $10 Bonus Card, for qualified purchases between 4/1/13 -6/16/13.
• Bonus card valid 5/13/13-7/15/13, valid for single purchases in restaurant or online. • Bonus cards not valid the day of purchase. See FAQs for full Bonus Card Terms.
• Free Shipping offer valid 4/1/13 – 6/16/13, six cards or less, U.S Postal Service, a $1.95 value.
• Brio Tuscan Grille
• For every $50 in BRIO Gift Cards you purchase, receive a $10 Bonus Offer for You! Offer expires 6/16/13.
• $10 bonus gift valid 6/24/13-8/25/13.
• $10 Bonus ONLY available at your local BRIO restaurant or on BRIO website purchases.
• Not applicable on third party distributors or e-gifts purchases.
• When you buy $50 in Carrabbas gift cards bwteen 4/1 – 6/16/13, you’ll receive a $10 bonus card.
• Bonus card valid 5/13 – 7/15/13
• Bonus cards not valid on day of purchase
• Champps Americana
• For every $50 Gift Card Purchased at Champps, Receive a $10 Reward loaded to your MVP card
• Chili’s Mother’s Day 2013 Restaurant Offers:
• Any Chili’s Gift Card purchase made from April 17th, 2013 through May 13th, 2013 will qualify the purchaser for a $10 FTD Promo eCard, redeemable on FTD products, exceptions apply**, see below.
• The $10 FTD Promo eCode and 15% discount referenced above can be used in conjunction.
• After successful Gift Card purchase, the purchaser will receive their $10 FTD Promo eCard via email, which will also include the discounted FTD website referenced above.
• This offer is available through May 13th, 2013.
• Dell Mother’s Day Offer – the computer place, not a restaurant
• For every $300 worth of Dell eGift Card(s), the purchaser receives a $50 Dell Promotional eGift Card.
• Dell eGift Cards can be purchased in any denomination from $10 – $500.
• To consolidate Dell purchased eGift Cards visit www.dell.com/giftcards.
• Promotional eGift Card expires 90 days from date issued and cannot be consolidated with any other card.
• Offer eligible from April 29th to May 14th, 2013.
• eGift Card purchase total is limited to $500 per single transaction.
• Elephant Bar
• Purchase a $25 gift card, receive $5 off your next purchase promotional dining card
Offer ends 6/30/13
• Firstwatch The Daytime Cafe
• Purchase $100 worth of Firstwatch gift card between April 22- June 16, 2013, receive $20 in bonus bucks for yourself
• Bonus Buck cards are valid 6/17/13 – 7/31/13. Bonus Buck cards are not gift cards and as such are valid for one-time use only.
• Flemings Steak House
• Make this Mother’s Day even more memorable with a special brunch for a special woman. Our chefs are preparing a three-course menu every mom will love for $36.95* per guest. Our regular and children’s menus will also be available all day and evening. Please join us on Sunday, May 12, from 11:30 a.m.–3 p.m.
• Plus, all moms will receive a $25 Dining Card for a future visit
• Joe’s Crab Shack
• For every $25 purchased in Joe’s gift cards from May 1 until June 16, guests will receive $5 Bonus Bucks in return to use toward food, non-alcoholic beverages and retail merchandise.
• Bonus Bucks will be redeemable from June 17, 2013 until July 23, 2013.
• Gift cards can be purchased at all Joe’s Crab Shack restaurants nationwide and online
• Levy Restaurants
• For every 100.00 gift card purchased receive a 25.00 bonus card valid July 1, 2013 through September 30, 2013.
• Longhorn Steakhouse Mother’s Day 2013 Restaurant Offers:
• Purchase a $25 gift card, receive $5 off your next visit bonus card
• Bonus card only available with in-restaurant gift card purchase
• Macaroni Grill
• For every $25 purchased in Macaroni Grill gift cards from May 1 until June 16, guests will receive a $5 Grazie Gift that can be used on food, non-alcoholic beverages and retail merchandise.
• Grazie Gifts will be redeemable from June 17, 2013 until July 23, 2013.
• Gift cards can be purchased at all Macaroni Grill restaurants nationwide and online
• Maggianos Little Italy
• Any Maggiano’s Gift Card purchase made from April 26th, 2013 through May 13th, 2013 will qualify the purchaser for a $10 FTD Promo eCard, redeemable on FTD products, exceptions apply
• This offer is available through May 13th, 2013.
• Not Your Average Joe’s
• Spend $50 on a gift card to give and get a free $10 appreciation card to keep.
• Appreciation cards expire 90 days from date of issue.
• Valid on your next visit.
• Offer expires 6/16/13.
• Appreciation cards will be sent to the billing address for any order that qualifies.
• Outback Steakhouse
• For every $50 in gift cards purchased online between April 1 and June 16, 2013, you (the purchaser) will receive one $10 Bonus Coupon FREE.
• A bonus card is a $10 value to use between May 13, 2013 and July 15, 2013
• Bonus cards not valid on day of purchase.
• Ruby Tuesday
• For every $50 in gift cards purchased online between April 23 and June 16, 2013, you (the purchaser) will receive one $15 Bonus Coupon FREE. (We are sorry, but bulk orders do not qualify for the bonus coupon offer and this offer is not available in restaurant).
• A bonus card is a $15 value to use between May 13, 2013 and July 15, 2013 at any Ruby Tuesday location in the continental United States.
• Starbucks Offer
• Frappuccino Happy Hour 1/2 off from 3-5pm
• Ends 5/12/13
• TCBY Mother’s Day 2013 Restaurant Offer:
• Free 6oz TCBY yogurt
• See store for details
• For every $25 worth of eGift Cards purchased, the purchaser receives $5 in Bonus Bites Card.
• Bonus Bites Cards come in $5 denominations; the purchaser will receive a combination of cards based on the total purchase.
• BONUS BITES VALID 7/1/2013-8/31/2013
• Offer ends June 30, 2013 at 11:55pm EST
• Tony Roma’s
• Mom’s receive a free entree coupon (value to $15) valid on next visit. (participating locations only)
• For every $50 in gift cards purchased online between April 23 and June 16, 2013, you (the purchaser) will receive $15 in Romabucks.
• Romabucks expires September 1, 2013
• Buy $25 in eGift Cards, get a $5 Bonus Voucher
• Bonus Voucher redemption valid 5/13/2013 – 6/16/2013
(Thanks, Money Saving Mom)
Bump update! Panda Express is giving away free food again — to celebrate Chinese New Year, pick up a free tangy jumbo shrimp on Feb. 13 with this printable coupon. Or, show on your mobile device!
Print yourself a coupon for $2 off $5 at Smashburger. We recently ate there for the first time, and it’s yum!
(Thanks, Saving With Shellie)
I posted this on the Mashup Mom Facebook page last night, but then thought everyone might like to see it. Come join us there, if you haven’t! Anyway, today only you can use this Facebook coupon to pick up a free dozen donuts at Krispy Kreme with purchase of a dozen donuts.
Some restaurant daily deals for our Chicagoland folks. Here’s $25 for $50 at Carnivale in the West Loop.
Chili’s has been offering Holidaily deals — print a NEW coupon EVERY day until Christmas! Today’s deal: Kids Eat FREE! Click banner above to print your coupon. As per usual, up to two free kid’s meals per adult entree purchase.
Here are a few restaurant freebies for you:
Free individual dessert through 10/31 — doesn’t look like any purchase necessary! Print your coupon here.
Andi emails: The Crystal Lake Chick-fil-A (4812 Northwest Hwy.) is having free breakfast Tuesday tomorrow from 6:30am-10:30am. It is a free biscuit of the customer’s choice no purchase necessary. Free Chicken Biscuit, free spicy chicken biscuit, free Bacon, Egg and Cheese biscuit etc. (and you get a biscuit and you get a biscuit!)
Check out what Taco Bell has to say on Facebook: “A stolen base just happened! Free Doritos Locos Tacos for America on Tuesday, October 30 from 2-6 p.m.” Limit one free taco per person no purchase necessary.