Welcome back to What To Eat Wednesday for 12/19/13. Which, yeah, I think just might have to change into What To Eat THURSDAY… Each week, Trish and I feature a couple of recipe ideas around current grocery store sales, and then all of you are invited to share your own ideas in comments here. Most grocery sales started yesterday 12/18 or today 12/19.
Note: We’re just listing which stores have some of the major ingredients for these recipes on sale, not saying to run around to every store to pick up an ingredient here, an ingredient there, because that’s not frugal. Combine what’s on sale with what’s already in your pantry, to feed your family frugally and deliciously.
What’s up this week?
Well, since a lot of you will be partaking in some of this week’s ham sales for your holiday feasts, we thought a couple of uses for your leftovers might be in order. First up, to use that nice flavorful ham bone, is Spicy Ham Bone slow cooker soup: If you’re not big on split pea or other traditional ham bone soups, try this one!
And then we have Pasta With Ham & Broccoli in Parmesan Cream Sauce, which is a different use for some of that left over ham.
So where are these things on sale?
- Meijer: Bush’s Best variety beans, $1.00.
- Tony’s: Goya low sodium beans 4/$3.00. Print $1.00/5 here.
- Angelo Caputo’s: Broccoli crowns, $.69/lb.
- Meijer: Broccoli crowns, 5 for $5.
- Pete’s Market: California broccoli or cauliflower, $.79/lb.
- Tony’s: Broccoli crowns or cauliflower, $.79/lb.
- Ultra Foods: Broccoli crowns, $.69/lb.
- Valli Produce: California crown broccoli, $.69/lb.
- Mariano’s: 32 oz Swanson broth, $1.75.
- Meijer: 32 oz Meijer broth, $1.69.
- Pete’s Market: Kitchen Basics or Medford Farms stock, $1.79. 32 oz College Inn broth, $1.99.
- Valli Produce: Medford Farms 32 oz broth, $2.00.
- Mariano’s: California organic celery, $1.49.
- Tony’s: Celery, $.99 each.
- Ultra Foods: Dole celery, $1.18.
Half & Half
- Pete’s Market: Quart Dean’s half & half, $1.99.
- Tony’s: Dean’s 32 oz half & half or egg nog, $1.99.
- Valli Produce: 16 oz Prairie Farms half & half or .5 pint whipping cream, $.99.
- ALDI: Shank ham, $.99/lb. Butt ham, $1.19/lb. Spiral ham, $1.49/lb. Specially selected spiral double glazed brown sugar ham, $1.99/lb.
- Jewel: Cook’s spiral sliced whole or half ham, $1.49/lb limit 1 with $25 purchase. Cook’s shank half ham, $.69/lb limit 1 with $25 purchase. Cook’s butt half ham, $.89/lb limit 1 with $25 purchase.
- Meijer: Cook’s or Hormel Cure 81 spiral sliced half ham, $1.27/lb limit 2. Cook’s shank ham, $.77/lb limit 2.
- Pete’s Market: Sugardale shank smoked ham, $1.19/lb. Butt, $1.39/lb.
- Tony’s: Sugardale shank portion ham, $.69/lb limit 1 with $25 purchase.
- Ultra Foods: Sugardale hardwood smoked ham shank, $.89/lb. Butt, $.99/lb.
- Valli Produce: Jamestown spiral sliced ham, $1.49/lb.
- Jewel: 8 oz mushrooms, $1.50.
- Tony’s: Green Giant 16 oz white mushrooms, $2.50.
- Ultra Foods: 16 oz Green Giant whole white mushrooms, $2.50.
- ALDI: 3 lb yellow onions, $.69.
- Pete’s Market: 3 lb yellow onions, $.99.
- ALDI: Priano parmesan or asiago 8 oz cheese wedge, $2.99.
- Valli Produce: Parmigiano Reggiano, $9.99/lb.
- Angelo Caputo’s: Barilla pasta, $.99. Use $1.00/2 pasta AND sauce in the 11/10 SS.
- Meijer: Barilla blue box pasta, $1.00.
- Pete’s Market: Misko pasta, $.99. Barilla pasta, $.99.
- Ultra Foods: 32 oz Creamette pasta, $1.99.
- Valli Produce: Barilla pasta, $.99.
- ALDI: 10 lb russet potatoes, $1.49.
- Angelo Caputo’s: Russet potatoes 8 lb bag, $1.29.
- Tony’s: 5 lb bag red or Idaho potatoes, $1.50.
- Ultra Foods: 8 lb Idaho potatoes, $1.98.
Next up: Share your own recipes!
After you check out this week’s recipes, be sure to check out the store sales this week. Most grocery matchups are now up, so choose a store from the top menu and browse their current deals. Then, please share: What are you going to be making around what’s on sale this week? Let’s help each other out with recipe ideas — thanks!