Welcome back to What To Eat Wednesday for 10/9/13! Each week, Trish and I will feature a couple of recipe ideas around current grocery store sales, and then I’d like to invite all of you to share your own ideas in comments here. Most grocery sales started today 10/9; Ultra and Meijer start tomorrow 10/10.
Note: We’re just listing which stores have some of the major ingredients for these recipes on sale, not saying to run around to every store to pick up an ingredient here, an ingredient there, because that’s not frugal. Combine what’s on sale with what’s already in your pantry, to feed your family frugally and deliciously.
What’s up this week?
It’s a cheesy week, so, first up we have this Baked Macaroni and Cheese from Frugal Homemade. This also makes use of the pasta on sale all over town, plus milk and butter, and should be a hit with the kids (with a grown-up pleasing touch of Panko, which you may have left over from last week’s pork chops).
Chicken legs are also affordable right now (and often), and here’s the easiest ever recipe for those: Snap, Crackle, Pop Chicken Legs. For which you need… wait for it… wait for it: CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS. Plus a little olive oil and seasoned salt, so you can easily make this one with pantry staples. (This one was a Sunday Scratchups recipe before the separate site even existed!)
So where are these things on sale?
- Angelo Caputo’s: Dutch Farms butter quarters, $2.00.
- Ultra Foods: Centrella butter quarters, $1.98.
- Valli Produce: Dutch Farms butter quarters, $2.00.
- Dominick’s: FRIDAY ONLY Lucerne chunk cheese, 3/$5.00.
- Tony’s: Kraft shredded or chunk cheese, $1.49 after instant savings when you buy six mix/match items.
- Ultra Foods: Kraft shredded and chunk cheese, $1.38 after instant savings when you buy six mix/match items.
- Pete’s Fresh Market: Family pack chicken drumsticks, $.79/lb.
- Tony’s Finer Foods: Chicken drumsticks family pack, $.69/lb.
- Ultra Foods: Sanderson Farms chicken drumsticks and thighs jumbo packs, $.88/lb.
- ALDI: Friendly Farms milk, $1.89 limit 4.
- CVS: Dean’s milk, $2.99 get $1.00 ECB limit 2.
- Jewel: Jewel milk, $2.49. Plus save $2.00 on milk on SavingStar when you buy four Kellogg’s cereals.
- Pete’s Fresh Market: Gallon Country Delight milk, $1.99 excludes whole.
- Tony’s: Country’s Delight gallon 1%, 2%, or skim milk, $1.99 limit 2 with $10 additional purchase.
Pasta (elbow macaroni)
- Angelo Caputo’s: Lucio Garofalo pasta (selects cuts, excludes farfalle), $.69.
- Jewel: Creamette pasta, $1.00.
- Meijer: Meijer green box pasta on the ten for $10 get the 11th free sale.
- Peapod: Barilla pasta, $1.25. Use $.55/2 in the 9/8 SS. Print $1.00/2 here. Save $5 instantly when you spend $15 on select Barilla.
- Pete’s Fresh Market: 16 oz Da Vinci pasta, $.99.
- Tony’s: Prince pasta or Ronzoni Healthy Harvest pasta or egg noodles, $1.00.
- Ultra Foods: Prince or Ronzoni pasta, $.88 limit 6. Print $1.00/2 Smart Taste, if included.
- Valli Produce: 1lb Granoro pasta, $.99.
Next up: Share your own recipes!
After you check out Baked Macaroni and Cheese and Snap, Crackle, Pop Chicken Legs, also be sure to check out the store sales this week. Most grocery matchups are now up, so choose a store from the top menu and browse their current deals. Then, please share: What are you going to be making around what’s on sale this week? Let’s help each other out with recipe ideas — thanks!