How many papers? Week of 1/6/13 — MEGA INSERT MADNESSPosted at 10:32 pm by rachel in how many papers, inserts
The first week of January is generally a realllly good time to buy extra newspapers, and this coming Sunday is no exception! This week: FIVE inserts, plus a possibly regional Target Johnson & Johnson insert. Three SmartSource, two Red Plum, and coupons galore.
- See the full list of what’s supposed to be included over at Coupons, Deals and More.
- Use this as a general guide, because coupons and values can vary regionally. This means that sometimes our papers will not include one or more of the coupons listed, or that one area will get one $ amount on their coupons, we will get another.
In Chicagoland, the Chicago Tribune generally has the most coupons in it — even if the Sun Times or the DuPage Daily Herald or the other smaller papers have the same inserts, they’re often thinner. (On rare occasions, the Sun-Times will contain a coupon not found in the Trib, but it’s rare enough that it’s worth remarking on when it happens.) If you are outside of Chicagoland, you will want to pick up the largest-circulation paper in your area.
So, what looks good to me?
- Aveeno (excludes cleansing bars, and 2.5oz lotion) $3/2 expires 2/6/13. Hey look, more Aveeno! Also a $1.00/1.
- Barilla Plus, Veggie, Whole Grain or White Fiber Pasta $1/2 expires 3/2/13. Some of these are on the Target buy ten get $5.00 gift card deal, priced at $1.09 or $1.19 each depending on store. If they’re $1.09 at your store, buy ten for $10.90. Use five $1.00/2 coupons = $5.90. Get back a $5.00 Target gift card for a net cost of $.90, or $.09 a box. If they’re $1.19 at your store, they’ll be net $.19 a box.
- Bic Disposable Razor B1G1 (value to $7.99) expires 2/3/13. Save for a BOGO sale at Jewel or drugstores.
- Chi-Chi Salsa Jar or Snackers Salsa or Cheese Cups (12oz+) $1/2 expires 3/2/13. These go on sale for a buck sometimes.
- GE Energy Smart, Reveal CFL, Energy Efficient Reveal or Energy Efficient Soft White Lighting $1 expires 3/6/13. Stack with the $2.00 Target printable!
- Planters NUTrition can or Multipack $1 expires 3/31/13.
- Snapware Food or Home Storage $2 expires 3/31/13. The little ones go $2.00 at Meijer sometimes.
- Stayfree B1G1 (value to $4.49) expires 2/6/13. These are a-gonna be BOGO at CVS on Sunday! Two free packs!
- Atkins Bar (5pk) $1 expires 3/31/13. This stuff generally goes in sale in January, too. Also shakes and frozen meal coupons.
- Colgate Toothpaste (4oz+) 75¢ or $1 expires 1/26/13. $.88 at Ultra right now.
- Flintstones $2 expires 2/28/13.
- Goody Ouchless Elastics (24ct+) 50¢ expires 2/15/13. Hey, maybe Wags will do a free after RR deal.
- Oscar Mayer Carving Board Meat $1 expires 3/3/13. Also $1.00/2 Deli Fresh.
- Starbucks Packaged Coffee (11oz+) or K-cups (10 or 16ct) $3/2 expires 2/9/13. Maybe we’ll actually get it this time!
- There are a bunch of Lysol coupons — low value, but we haven’t seen any in a while.
Red Plum #1
- Purchase one (1) Gillette Series or Fusion Shave Prep, Receive one (1) Gillette Fusion Shave Prep Free (value to $3.99) expires 2/28/13. Wait for an ECB deal.
- Good’n Nature Bar Free (value to $1.50) expires 2/17/13. Free!
- Jimmy Dean $1 expires 2/17/13.
- Pure Protein Bar $1/2 expires 2/24/13. These are 5/$5.00 at Walgreens right now.
- Purex Liquid Detergent or UltraPacks $1 expires 2/2/13. This goes $1.99 pretty often.
- Scotties Facial Tissue Boxes $1/4 or Multipack $1/1 expires 2/9/13. These are $1.00 at Dollar Tree and go $.88 at Ultra sometimes.
Red Plum #2
- all Laundry Detergent (excludes trial size) $2/2 expires 2/7/13.
- Hefty Waste Bags $1 expires 3/31/13. See if you have the personalized price on JFU at Dominick’s to stack with the $3.00 off each participating large household item + coupon.
So, how many?
A lot? lol. I’m probably picking up ten — there are a LOT of coupons here, and a lot of coupons from older inserts expire 12/31 so it’s a good time to replenish your stash. Remember: If you are picking up extras for $1.00 each at Dollar Tree, Menards, or Deals, all you have to do is use $1.00 in coupons out of each to break even — everything after that is gravy! It’ll be pretty easy to do with these.
Not getting inserts in your paper?
The Tribune is apparently no longer including inserts in some papers, the further you get from the city — and some people in Chicago and the southern burbs are also missing one or both inserts in both delivered and purchased papers. This decision is made by the inserts — they’ll decide not to distribute in certain ZIP codes, or only to distribute a certain number in given areas so not all papers have them.
Here are a couple of places you can get clipped coupons and/or whole inserts, if the Trib isn’t working for you:
- Coupons & Things by Dede. Dede also has a loyalty program where you earn points for each order, and then can redeem those points towards $ off later orders. She ships fast.
- WeClipUSave — some cheaper than Dede, and often more stock. They also have whole inserts available.
These are also good places to try if you just want a lot of a single coupon, as it can be more cost effective than buying multiple papers.
Posts on Mashup Mom may contain affiliate links. Please see the disclosure and disclaimer statement.