Welcome back to Sunday Scratchups, your one stop shopping for weekly recipes from scratch around grocery store matchups! This week Jewel has boneless skinless chicken breast on sale for $1.99/lb (Butcher Block only), Pete’s is at $1.99/lb, and Valli has boneless skinless thighs at $1.79/lb, so we’re revisiting an oldie but goodie: Super easy Three Ingredient Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken. This one is my go-to for busy evenings, since it takes just two minutes to throw everything in the Crock Pot and forget it in the morning — and everyone here looooves it.
For this recipe you’ll want either boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs. It’s juicier with thighs, but they’re harder to find on sale, so watch clearance. My pack here was from Target clearance (regularly $5.99 for 1.75 lbs, minus $2.00 clearance sticker, minus $1.50/1 coupon = $2.49, or $1.42 a pound). Always check the meat clearance (especially if you’re near a Super Target!) because you’ll often find a deal. Always pick up your tortillas at ALDI, where El Milagro corn are $.33 and flour $.89 every day. We get at least two dinners out of this recipe for our family of four.
- Note: I often add drained black beans and/or corn to this recipe, or you can also remove the chicken at the end and shred it with some of the liquid, while you add the beans into the remaining liquid in the Crock Pot and turn on warm to heat through and serve separately. I also no longer use taco seasoning packets now that my stockpile is used up, but substitute easy homemade taco seasoning — yum.
Easy Three Ingredient Salsa Chicken
1.5-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
One packet taco seasoning or easy homemade taco seasoning
One 16 oz jar salsa — verde or otherwise
Place chicken in crockpot. Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken. Pour salsa over everything. Cook on low for 5-6 hours, shred, and serve with your favorite taco fixings.
How much easier can you get?
The other nice thing about Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken is that this basic recipe is infinitely adaptable. Want it spicier? Use hot salsa and taco seasoning when cooking, or add jalapeño slices and hot sauce when assembling. Want it milder? Just use mild salsa. Gluten free? Use corn tortillas rather than flour, and make sure to use gluten free or homemade taco seasoning. Dairy free? Skip the cheese and sour cream when assembling your tacos. Low carb? Serve yours on a low carb wrap or lettuce wrap. Want to stretch your chicken further, or sneak in some extra nutrition? Add a drained can of black beans and a drained can of corn to the Crock Pot before cooking. Hate tortillas? Serve over rice or on a taco salad.
Play with the basic recipe and fixings to suit your own family’s tastes and dietary needs, and enjoy a super easy weeknight meal that should please everyone in the house — it surely does here!
Easy Print Version
- 1.5-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- One packet taco seasoning or easy homemade taco seasoning -- http://www.mashupmom.com/easy-homemade-taco-seasoning/
- One 16 oz jar salsa -- verde or otherwise
- Place chicken in crockpot.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
- Pour salsa over everything.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours, shred, and serve with your favorite taco fixings.
Enjoy three ingredient slow cooker salsa chicken?
… you might also like:
Find more recipe ideas with the Mashup Mom Recipe Search.