Welcome to the April 10, 2016 edition of Sunday Scratchups: Your weekly recipe from scratch around grocery store matchups, coupons, and sales. Green beans and avocados are on sale at several stores this week as spring approaches, so let’s scratch up a fresh and tangy easy spring salad! I threw this together with veggies (OK, technically, veggies and fruit…) I had handy in my fridge, including the green beans and tomatoes that were cheap at Pete’s + a $.69 avocado from ALDI, and it turned out well enough that I’d now like to share the recipe with you. 🙂
1/2 lb fresh green beans, halved and trimmed
1/2 cucumber, peeled and chopped
2 small vine ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 small ripe avocado, chopped
2 Tbsp diced onion
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
Juice of 1/4 a small lemon
pinch Kosher salt
1 tsp minced garlic
dash of Sriracha
Black pepper, to taste
1 tsp oregano
Cook green beans in boiling salted water for two minutes until bright green and crisp tender, then remove to a bowl of ice water to cool. Meanwhile, chop the rest of your vegetables. Add all veggies to large bowl.
Combine olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, Kosher salt, garlic, Sriracha, black pepper, and oregano in separate small bowl. Pour over veggies and toss gently to coat.
Chill for half an hour to let the flavors blend before serving.
How easy is that?
The Sriracha gives this a little kick, while the crisp-tender green beans contrast nicely with the smooth avocado and chewy cucumber. A little feta cheese would also be quite nice in here if you’d like to kick it up a salty notch, while red onion would be more visually appealing than the yellow onion I used here. No, the kids wouldn’t touch this one (ew, green beans! lol) — but that means all the more for me. It keeps well in the fridge overnight, although it’s less pretty and a little mushier the next day so best to make fresh if you’re serving for company or a spring BBQ.
This easy vegetarian spring salad is a perfect side dish for the next time you’re grilling this spring.
Easy Spring Salad printable recipe
- ½ lb fresh green beans, halved and trimmed
- ½ cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 small vine ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small ripe avocado, chopped
- 2 Tbsp diced onion
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- Juice of ¼ a small lemon
- pinch Kosher salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- dash of Sriracha
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- Cook green beans in boiling salted water for two minutes until bright green and crisp tender, then remove to a bowl of ice water to cool.
- Meanwhile, chop the rest of your vegetables.
- Add all veggies to large bowl.
- Combine olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, Kosher salt, garlic, Sriracha, black pepper, and oregano in separate small bowl.
- Pour over veggies and toss gently to coat.
- Chill for half an hour to let the flavors blend before serving.
If you like Spring Salad, you might also like…
Find more recipe ideas with the Mashup Mom Recipe Search.