I know, right? Two recipes in two days! But I had this clearance stew meat from ALDI ($3.54 yesterday) that I had to do something with, so cooked this up overnight in the crock pot. I have no idea where the original recipe came from, but I’ve messed with it off and on so it’s all scribbled out — and this iteration is pretty good, and nice when you want something a little different. You’ll probably want to cut your stew meat into smaller pieces than shown above, but I was just too tired at 11:30-ish last night when this went into the slow cooker, lol.
Easy slow cooker chickpea spinach beef stew-soup
Olive oil (enough to brown the meat)
1.5-2 lbs beef stew meat
1 medium onion (or two small), chopped
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
14.5 oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and water pressed out
1 tsp black pepper
32 oz carton beef broth
4-8 oz mushrooms, sliced in large chunks
small can of tomato paste
In large pan, brown beef and onions in olive oil — just a few minutes, long enough to brown on both sides. While meat is browning, add the rest of the ingredients to the crock pot. Add browned stew meat and onion, stir, and cook on low for 8 hours or overnight.
You’ll wake up to something like this! And a wonderful smell, so you can’t figure out why you have woken up so darn hungry.
It’s really more of a soup than a stew, although you could probably add more “stuff” to thicken it up if you like. But it’s quite tasty as is, and so easy!
Let’s figure out cost, for fun:
- Clearance stew meat, $3.54. (This hardly ever goes on sale any more, so keep an eye on the clearance section!)
- Can of chickpeas — this was on clearance way back when, but they’re always on sale at Pete’s for $.50.
- Box of spinach — was something like $.60 with coupon + sale a while back.
- Can of tomato paste — $.10 on the amazing Centrella tomato sale last month.
- Box of beef broth — $1.00 on the Jewel Catalina deal in… January? December?
- Mushrooms — $.99 at ALDI this week.
- So about $7.00 total when you add the condiments + onion, and it should be enough for all of us tonight + leftovers tomorrow.
Let’s make it into one of those $10 Jewel dinners, lol — add the $.99 bagged salad I picked up at ALDI yesterday, and, oh, the ALDI $2.99 French rolls. Uh oh. Now I’m at $11.00. But with leftovers, so we’ll call it all good!
Want more affordable and easy recipes?
- That’s the only kind I post! Check out more recipes and Sunday Scratchups here.
Easy print version
- Olive oil (enough to brown the meat)
- 1.5-2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 medium onion (or two small), chopped
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- 14.5 oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and water pressed out
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 32 oz carton beef broth
- 4-8 oz mushrooms, sliced in large chunks
- small can of tomato paste
- In large pan, brown beef and onions in olive oil — just a few minutes, long enough to brown on both sides.
- While meat is browning, add the rest of the ingredients to the crock pot.
- Add browned stew meat and onion, stir, and cook on low for 8 hours or overnight.
Posts on Mashup Mom may contain affiliate links. Please see the disclosure and disclaimer statement.