Trish just emailed that the former Downers Grove Dominick’s on Ogden is becoming an Angelo Caputo’s! They’re slated to open around the end of May.
Let’s just lump all our dizzifying news announcements today, mm-kay?
Jewel buying more Dominick’s
- 763 Howard Street in Chicago
- 424 W. Division in Chicago
- 3243 S. 115th St in Merrionette Park
- 800 NW Highway in Fox River Grove
- 345 S. Rand Road in Lake Zurich.
Jewel parent company is buying Safeway (who just closed Dominick’s)
Safeway says it has agreed to be acquired by an investment group led by Cerebus Capital Management, the owner of Albertsons and several other supermarket chains.
Under terms of the long-rumored deal, Safeway will merge its brands with Albertsons. The Idaho-based grocer, the naton’s fifth-largest, is controlled by Cerberus, which operates more than 1,100 stores under the Albertsons, Acme, Jewel-Osco and Shaw’s brands.
Wait, so they closed our Dominick’s and now Jewel is merging with Safeway? I’m so confused… lol.
Staples will be closing up to 225 stores by 2015
Staples said Thursday it will close 225 stores in North America by the end of 2015 amid falling fourth-quarter revenue as sales increasingly shift online.
Keep stocking up on that free after rebate paper while you can!
Did I miss anything?
Or is that enough news for today. 🙂
And here’s another more heartwarming Dominick’s farewell photo sent in by feelgood — this one from the Homer Glen store, which will be transitioning into a Jewel-Osco later this week. Here’s hoping that the remaining unsold stores will find new buyers soon, and best of luck to the former Dominick’s employees at those stores not being converted to Jewels, in their search for new employment.
Thanks to Kathryn for sending this one over — the above YouTube parody video was made by an employee at the Glen Ellyn Dominick’s, who was suspended on his last day (yes, really!) once word got out. Read the story at the Elmhurst Patch and on NBC 5 Chicago. Suspended or no — I think he may have a future in advertising!
This is so sad. I was just thinking about all the things I will miss from Dominick’s, not the least some of the employees who don’t deserve this, especially right after Christmas. But I thought it might be useful to talk about some of the products and regular sales you’ll miss, to see if other people have suggestions for alternatives. Off the top of my head, here are a few of mine:
- Cheap spinach and salad with the Fresh Ideas coupons every month.
- Clearance meat.
- Random Just for U personalized deals, freebies, and crazy fun.
- Sales on Herdez salsa cans, which are great for cooking.
- Lucerne organic half & half, which was always a good price.
- Non-dairy coconut milk yogurt, esp. on clearance, for Dairy Free Junior High Guy.
- Cottonelle, because $5 Friday + a Catalina was always the best deal in town.
- Ice Mountain Sparkling water — you could always count on it going on sale for $.50 sometime when the $1.00/2 coupons were out.
- Random buy four save $4 sales that often made things like granola bars, applesauce pouches, and more free after coupon + Catalina.
What products are you going to miss? If you have products you’ll miss or suggestions for replacements, please comment here!