Belated Sunday scratchups — Simple balsamic avocadosPosted at 3:25 pm by rachel in recipes, sunday scratchups
Welcome back to Sunday Scratchups — AKA: Grocery matchups cooking from scratch. Up next in the series, simple balsamic avocados.
Since avocados are on sale everywhere this week, yesterday I WAS going to make up a crab and avocado concoction for you guys with the cheap canned clearance crab from Jewel. So I tried to create something like the crab and avocado stack from Outback Steakhouse, but it was a miserable failure, lol. To salvage that experiment, I added a bunch more avocado and lemon juice and such to it, and made it into crab-amole, which was OK, but not better than regular guac (and I wouldn’t necessarily make it again).
So today, I was having some balsamic avocado with one of the leftover ones and thought I’d share that with you instead, because it’s a super simple way to kick up an avocado — BAM! It’s so simple it’s hard even to call this a recipe, but those are sometimes the best ones.
This is super easy. You need: A ripe avocado. Balsamic vinegar. Sea salt. Slice your avocado in half and remove the pit. Add a little bit of balsamic vinegar to the top of each half, and top with sea salt (about one grind will do). Eat with a fork. Or a spoon, if it’s really ripe!
How much are avocados this week? They’re on sale everywhere because of the Super Bowl, so:
- $.49 at ALDI through tomorrow 2/5 (produce prices at ALDI can be regional).
- $.75 at Walmart (or price-match ALDI).
- $.77 at Dominick’s through Wed.
- $.88 at Jewel through Wed.
- 2/$.89 at Angelo Caputo’s through tomorrow.
- $.58 at Ultra Foods through Wed.
- 2/$.99 at Pete’s through tomorrow.
- $.39 at Valli through tomorrow.
Mine were from ALDI, and really nice quality for $.49 — going back tomorrow for a few more! Yay, good fats, guacamole, and easy sides.
Want more affordable and easy recipes?
- That’s the only kind I post! Check out more recipes and Sunday Scratchups here.
Easy print version
- A ripe avocado
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Slice your avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Add a little bit of balsamic vinegar to the top of each half, and top with sea salt (about one grind will do).
- Eat with a fork. Or a spoon, if it’s really ripe!
Posts on Mashup Mom may contain affiliate links. Please see the disclosure and disclaimer statement.